This course provides you with the knowledge and training to provide first aid care including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on adults and children when they are ill or injured.
It gives you the skills to take control and provide immeadiate help to a patient until the paramedics arrive.
You will learn how to manage a cardiac arrest, do CPR at the correct rate, use the bag and mask to breath for the patient, use the AED and treat a number of conditions including:
- non-life-threatening bleeding
- minor wound cleaning and dressing
- life threatening bleeding requiring use of tourniquets and haemostatic dressings
- snake and spider bite
- fractures, sprains and strains
- triage for multi casulty incidents
- head, neck and spinal injuries
- seizures - including epilepsy
You will learn how to assess vital signs including respirations, pulse and temperature
You will also participate in a post-incident debrief and provide written workplace reports and a verbal report to the paramedics.
This will ensure you can provide the patient with the best opportunity to survive.
You can use these skills in your workplace, the home or in community settings.
This certification remains current for 3 years, you will need to complete refresher training every 3 years.
Students who successfully complete both the theoretical and practical assessment components of this nationally recognised training will be awarded the statement of attainment for:
- HLTAID009 - Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID010 - Provide basic emergency life support
- HLTAID011 - Provide first aid
- HLTAID014 - Provide advanced first aid
Initial Course Information
This course is delivered by Mixed Mode and requires the following:
- Completion of pre-course online learning which takes approximately 3-4 hours
- Completion of face to face practical assessment which takes approximately 8 hours
- Special Requirements - Note you will be required to complete at least 2 minutes of CPR on an adult mannequin on the floor and at least 2 minutes CPR on an infant mannequin. This is a physical activity. If you are unable to kneel on the floor for at least two minutes and complete the CPR component you will not be able to complete this unit. Please ensure you wear comfortable clothing appropriate for the activities.
- All learning material for this unit is provided via our online learning portal and all equipment is provided for the practical assessments.
For further information regarding the terms and conditions of your enrolment please click here to read the student handbook
A learner undertaking this course will require a specific skill level in Language, Literacy and Numeracy.
The course has been assessed as requiring the following Australian Core Skills Framework levels:
- Learning - Level 3
- Reading - Level 2
- Writing - Level 2
- Oral Communication - Level 2
- Numeracy - Level 1
For further information regarding these levels click here or to arrange a test to verify if you have the appropriate skills to complete the course please contact our LLN officer via our contact page or via telephone on (03) 9017 5590.