This course covers the requirements for the role of first aid or medical response workers who provide basic health care services including emergency first aid and sometimes transport services in the pre-hospital and out-of-hospital environment. The qualification applies to people who provide a first response in workplaces such as industrial sites, first aid organisations and the Australian Defence Force (ADF).
Knowledge and Skills developed
- Infection Control
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Advanced First Aid Practices
- Advanced Resuscitation Including Oxygen Delivery and Advanced Airways
- Working with other people and diverse groups
- Work Health and Safety Requirements
- Pain Management
- Communications and Stress Management
Units of Competency
(11 Units - 7 Core and 4 Electives)
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
- HLTAID011 Provide first aid
- HLTINF006 Apply basic principles and practices of infection prevention and control
- HLTOUT010 Communicate in complex situations to support health care
- HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- HLTWHS006 Manage personal stressors in the work environment
- BSBMED301 Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- HLTAID014 Provide advanced first aid
- HLTAID015 Provide advanced resuscitation and oxygen therapy
- PUAEME008 Provide pain management
The Australian Resusitation Council advises that you should update your first aid every 3 year to maintain currency, they also advise that the CPR and advanced resuscitation components of this course be updated every 12 months.
Students who successfully complete both the theoretical and practical assessment components of this nationally recognised training will be awarded the qualification:
- HLT31220 - Certificate III in Basic Health Care
This course is delivered by Mixed Mode and requires the following:>
- Completion of self paced online learning which takes approximately 18 Weeks or 180 hours (time taken varies depending on student committment)
- Completion of a 2 day face to face practical assessment session at our Melbourne (Cheltenham) or Newcastle(Lake Macquarie) training facilty
- Special Requirements - Note you will be required to complete several scenarios which include performing CPR for an extended period on the floor. This is a physical activity and you must be able to lift and carry oxygen equipment weighing at least 10kg. If you are unable to kneel on the floor for at least two minutes at a time and complete the CPR component you will not be able to complete this course. Please ensure you wear comfortable clothing appropriate for these activities.
- Reasonable computer skills and access to internet and email are required.
- Students must have a laptop or tablet which is wi-fi enabled and have access to the internet
- All assessments are submitted via our online learning portal.
- All learning material for this unit is provided either via our online learning portal or in printed learners guides that are supplied to the students upon commencing each unit.
- All equipment is provided for the practical assessments.
- For further information regarding the terms and conditions of your enrolment please click here to read the student handbook
A learner undertaking this course will require a specific skill level in Language, Literacy and Numeracy.
The course has been assessed as requiring the following Australian Core Skills Framework levels:
- Learning - Level 3
- Reading - Level 3
- Writing - Level 3
- Oral Communication - Level 3
- Numeracy - Level 3
For further information regarding these levels click here or discuss the requirements to complete the course please contact our LLN officer via our contact page or via telephone on 1300 856 684.
Note: - You will be required to complete a Language, Literacy and Numaracy assessment prior to be enrolment acceptance
To ensure that you are employable in the healthcare industry before your commence this course, you may be required to have:
- Current employment Working with Children Check
- Current Police check
- Vaccination for Hepatitis B, Varicella, Pertussis, Measles/Mumps/Rubella, with serology report
Cost: $1195CLICK HERE TO ENROL