This course covers the requirements for a medical first response worker or volunteer who provides initial care to patients. Typically these people provide basic first aid and emergency responses in the pre-hospital/out-of hospital environment.
It is suitable for those wanting to work, or already working as an emergency first responder.
Knowledge and Skills developed
- Infection Control
- Anatomy, Physiology and Medical Terminology
- Advanced First Aid Practices
- Advanced Resuscitation Including Oxygen Delivery and Advanced Airways
- Working with other people and diverse groups
- Work Health and Safety Requirements
Units of Competency
(9 Units - 5 Core and 4 Electives)
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- HLTAID011 Provide first aid
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- HLTWHS006 Manage personal stressors in the work environment
- HLTAID014 Provide advanced first aid
- HLTAID015 Provide advanced resuscitation and oxygen therapy
- HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
- PUAEME005 Provide pain management
The Australian Resusitation Council advises that you should update your first aid every 3 year to maintain currency, they also advise that the CPR and Advanced Resuscitation components of this course be updated every 12 months.
Students who successfully complete both the theoretical and practical assessment components of this nationally recognised training will be awarded the qualification:
- HLT21020 - Certificate II in Medical Service First Response
This course is delivered by Mixed Mode and requires the following:
- Completion of self paced online learning which takes approximately 6-12 Weeks (time taken varies depending on student committment)
- Completion of a 2 day face to face practical assessment session at our Melbourne (Bentleigh East) or Newcastle (Lake Macquarie) facilty
- Special Requirements - Note you will be required to complete several scenarios which include performing CPR for an extended period on the floor. This is a physical activity and you must be able to lift and carry oxygen equipment weighing at least 10kg. If you are unable to kneel on the floor for at least two minutes at a time and complete the CPR component you will not be able to complete this course. Please ensure you wear comfortable clothing appropriate for these activities.
A learner undertaking this course will require a specific skill level in Language, Literacy and Numeracy.
The course has been assessed as requiring the following Australian Core Skills Framework levels:
- Learning - Level 3
- Reading - Level 3
- Writing - Level 3
- Oral Communication - Level 3
- Numeracy - Level 3
For further information regarding these levels click here or discuss the requirements to complete the course please contact our LLN officer via our contact page or via telephone on (03) 9017 5590.
Note: - You will be required to complete a Language, Literacy and Numaracy assessment prior to be enrolment acceptance
Cost: $995.00CLICK HERE TO ENROL