This course provides you with the knowledge and training to provide first aid care in an education and childcare setting. It includes cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on adults and children and how to treat them when they are ill or injured including including asthma and anaphylactic emergencies.
It gives you the skills to take control and provide immeadiate help to a patient until the paramedics arrive.
You will learn how to manage a cardiac arrest, do CPR at the correct rate, use the AED and treat a number of conditions including:
- snake and spider bite
- fractures, sprains and strains
- head injuries
- seizures and convulsions, including febrile convulsions and epilepsy
You will also participate in a post-incident debrief and provide written workplace reports and a verbal report to the paramedics.
This will ensure you can provide the patient with the best oppertunity to survive.
You can use these skills in your workplace, the home or in community settings.
This certification remains current for 3 years, you will need to complete refresher training every 3 years.
This course meets the requirements of approved first aid, asthma and anaphylaxis training under the Education and Care Services National Law, and the Education and Care Services National Regulations (2011).
Specific requirements, including requirements for refresher training, should be obtained from the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) and/or relevant state/territory Work Health and Safety Regulatory Authority.
Students who successfully complete both the theoretical and practical assessment components of this nationally recognised training will be awarded the statement of attainment for:
- HLTAID001 - Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID003 - Provide first aid
- HLTAID004 - Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
Initial Course Information
This course is delivered by Mixed Mode and requires the following:
- Completion of pre-course online learning which takes approximately 2-3 hours
- Completion of face to face practical assessment which takes approximately 8 hours
- Special Requirements - Note you will be required to complete at least 2 minutes of CPR on an adult mannequin on the floor, at least 2 minutes of CPR on an child mannequin on the floor and at least 2 minutes CPR on an infant mannequin. This is a physical activity. If you are unable to kneel on the floor for at least two minutes and complete the CPR component you will not be able to complete this unit. Please ensure you wear comfortable clothing appropriate for the activities.
- All learning material for this unit is provided via our online learning portal and all equipment is provided for the practical assessments.
For further information regarding the terms and conditions of your enrolment please click here to read the student handbook
A learner undertaking this course will require a specific skill level in Language, Literacy and Numeracy.
The course has been assessed as requiring the following Australian Core Skills Framework levels:
- Learning - Level 4
- Reading - Level 3
- Writing - Level 3
- Oral Communication - Level 3
- Numeracy - Level 3
For further information regarding these levels click here or to arrange a test to verify if you have the appropriate skills to complete the course please contact our LLN officer via our contact page or via telephone on (03) 9017 5590.