This course covers the requirements for a Non Emergency Patient Transport Officer who transport patients between health care facilities. In Victoria Patient Transport Officers also partner with an Ambulance Attendants (Diploma Qualified) to respond to Non Urgent 000 calls on behalf of Ambulance Victoria. Typically these people may provide first aid and emergency responses in the pre-hospital/out-of hospital environment.
It is suitable for those wanting to work in the ambulance sector and is an excellent pathway for people who want to become a paramedic. It also suits first responders who are working for NEPT providers on first aid events.
Knowledge and Skills developed
- Infection Control
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Advanced First Aid Practices
- Advanced Resuscitation Including Oxygen Delivery and Advanced Airways
- Working with other people and diverse groups
- Work Health and Safety Requirements
- Pain Management
- Amulance Operations
Units of Competency
(13 Units - 8 Core and 5 Electives)
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTAMB001 Follow procedures for routine safe removal of patient
- HLTAMB014 Transport non-emergency patients under operational conditions
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid
- HLTAID007 Provide advanced resuscitation
- BSBMED301 Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- HLTAAP002 Confirm physical health status
- PUAEME005 Provide pain management
The Australian Resusitation Council advises that you should update your first aid every 3 year to maintain currency, they also advise that the CPR and advanced resuscitation components of this course be updated every 12 months.
Students who successfully complete both the theoretical and practical assessment components of this nationally recognised training will be awarded the qualification:
- HLT31115 - Certificate III in Non-Emergency Patient Transport
This course is delivered by Mixed Mode and requires the following:>
- Completion of self paced online learning which takes approximately 12 Weeks (time taken varies depending on student committment)
- Completion of a 4 day face to face practical assessment session at our Melbourne (Bentleigh East) facilty
- Special Requirements - Note you will be required to complete several scenarios which include performing CPR for an extended period on the floor. This is a physical activity and you must be able to lift and carry oxygen equipment weighing at least 10kg. If you are unable to kneel on the floor for at least two minutes at a time and complete the CPR component you will not be able to complete this course. Please ensure you wear comfortable clothing appropriate for these activities.
- You will also be required to complete driving activities in an ambulance, load and unload patients under simulated operational condition.
- Reasonable computer skills and access to internet and email are required.
- Students must have a laptop or tablet which is wi-fi enabled and have access to the internet
- All assessments are submitted via our online learning portal.
- All learning material for this unit is provided either via our online learning portal or in printed learners guides that are supplied to the students upon commencing each unit.
- All equipment is provided for the practical assessments.
- For further information regarding the terms and conditions of your enrolment please click here to read the student handbook
A learner undertaking this course will require a specific skill level in Language, Literacy and Numeracy.
The course has been assessed as requiring the following Australian Core Skills Framework levels:
- Learning - Level 4
- Reading - Level 3
- Writing - Level 3
- Oral Communication - Level 4
- Numeracy - Level 3
For further information regarding these levels click here or discuss the requirements to complete the course please contact our LLN officer via our contact page or via telephone on (03) 9017 5590.
Note: - You will be required to complete a Language, Literacy and Numaracy assessment prior to be enrolment acceptance
Special RequirementsTo esure that you are employable in the NEPT industry before your commence this course, you are required to have:
- Full Drivers Licence (P or L plates not accepted)
- Current employment Working with Children Check
- Current Police check
- Vaccination for Hepatitis B, Varicella, Pertussis, Measles/Mumps/Rubella, with serology report
- 1st payment on enrolment: $500 (non -refundable)
- 2nd payment before end of week 2: $925
- 3nd payment before end of week 6: $925
- Final payment before end of week 12: $925
Please call our office on (03) 9017 5590 to enrol.